Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday Baking - Vanilla Butter Cake

On Sunday, I baked a Vanilla Butter Cake using a recipe from "Baking" by James Peterson. The cake itself taste very good. It was very light and I slightly over cooked it leaving the crust just on the verge of being tough. One layer domed too much but I didn't want to cut it to level. I did split each layer horizontally to add a strawberry jam filling.

For frosting the cake I used Italian Buttercream using a recipe from "BakeWise" by Shirley O. Corriher. First you make an Italian meringue and then add other ingredients to make the buttercream. It's a very light buttercream that taste delicious.

The Italian Meringue is pictured above and then the finished Italian Buttercream is pictured below.

Above is the finished cake. My cake wasn't level and the Italian Buttercream was so light that it was hard to level. I guess it wasn't too bad for my first attempt icing with a buttercream this light.

You can see in the above picture, that I didn't split the top layer evenly and the top was domed. I'll do much better next time. You can also see the thin layer of strawberry jam. Everybody that ate the cake liked it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment