Sunday, March 28, 2010

Baby Shower Cake

Oh my goodness! What a rough day. I had to get the cake done for the baby shower by 1:00pm. Well it turned out to be the Baby Shower Cake from hell. It started yesterday as I had to redo the baby blocks for the top of the cake. I made the baby blocks out of rice crispy treats. Then the sugar crystallized in the icing I used to cover the blocks. So I had to remake the baby blocks.
I made two 9" white cake layers with a recipe from The Cake Bible. I used my new Agbay cake slicer to cut each layer in half giving me 4 layers. Then I used a red raspberry filling in between the top two and bottom two layers and chocolate ganache between the middle layers. For icing the cake, I made an Italian Buttercream which tasted very good. But, and this is a big but, the cake gods weren't with me today. I guess the temperature was too high (68 degrees in the house) and it was raining outside (high humidity), and after icing the cake, the icing started sliding off the sides of the cake when I added the pink drapes. I could have died when I watched it slide off. I got a little teary eyed till my mom kicked me in the butt (not really) and told me to suck it up and get to work fixing it. I was running out of time as it was nearing time to leave for the shower. I had to scrape off all the icing and then redo the icing on the cake. Then I added the pink drapes again started drooping just a bit but stayed on this time. I guess I should have chilled the cake before icing it and maybe cool down the buttercream as well. I was late for the shower, but the cake ended up OK. It didn't look as good as I would have liked, but it tasted very good. Well, I learned a few things baking the cake so it was worth it. Practice makes perfect, at least I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment