Monday, February 1, 2010

Day 19 - Dough Day

I didn't get a score on my practical test but I did get some feedback from the Chef. First he said I needed to be more consistent in the thickness of my Brysselkex cookies. Funny thing is he never showed the class anything about working with knives. But I'll take this criticism to heart. He also thought they were too golden, that maybe they needed to be cooked a little less. (Hmm! They looked just right to me). The critique of the Chocolate Chip cookies was that they were not spread out enough (meaning they were puffed up too high). The Chef said that four or five people did the same thing and that maybe someone was passing around a jar of baking powder instead of baking soda. Next time I'll make sure that I check what others are passing my way. Funny thing about it, these Chocolate Chip cookies tasted better this time than my batch before, even my family thought so. Oh well, it's a learning experience. I should find out my grade tomorrow.

Today we made four types of dough.

1) Flaky Pie Dough
2) Mealy Pie Dough
3) Pâte Sucrée (Sweet Pastry) - we'll use this to make tarts.
4) Rugelach (Jewish Pastry)

We just rolled each dough into a 2" diameter log. We'll use this another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment