Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 38 - Bread Practical #2

Today was my bread practical. I had to make baguettes and 2, 4, & 6 braid challah. My 2 & 6 braid challah (2 loaves on the left side of pan) came out fine. My 4 braid challah (in the middle of the pan) didn't come out so well because the braid was a little too tight so it split a little. The baguettes didn't do so well. The baguette on the right side of the pan really split open from the steam. The seam of the loaf are place on the bottom when I make it. This is were it split open. Quite a few other students had the same problem. Come to find out, we then learned that our younger Chef instructor had told us wrong about the length of time for proofing the dough. Another Chef figured out the problem and informed our instructor about the proper way these should be allowed to sit. So, at least I know what happened, but now I wonder how the Chef instructor will grade the baguettes being he told us wrong.

After class, I went to a culinary arts class to help eat some of their production from their practical. The Chef from that class was my high school culinary teacher. Well, taste testing is a tough job, but someone has to do it. There were things like: shrimp cocktail, oyster poboys, club sandwiches, Waldorf salad, egg salad, etc.

I guess I'll go eat some sushi now and try to think about what I can bake this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on these - I tried very unsuccessfully to braid bread once, and it didn't turn out anything like these! (By the way, I answered your question about my three-column template here: http://comfortofcooking.blogspot.com/p/about.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the new layout looks so good... I'm glad the site instructions worked for you! Can't wait to see more yummy posts from your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete