Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 22 - Tarts and Rugelach

The class today started out with the Chef demonstrating how to make Rugelach. This is a Jewish pastry. We were using apricot jam as a filling. Afterwards we started our production for the day.

I made Apple Tarts and Pecan Tarts. Then I made the Rugelach. The tarts came out OK but spent a little too much time in the oven. One minute I checked the tarts and they needed more time. Then next time I checked and they were over done. (See the picture below of the Apple Tart). It's very hard to cook something in an oven when 8 students are cooking in the same oven using half sheets. Very frustrating and challenging.

My Rugelach was a disaster. I cut two triangles out a 3" square of dough. The filling was apricot jam, raisins, walnuts, sugar, cinnamon and brown sugar. Then I rolled up the triangles like a crescent roll with my filling in it, but as it baked the dough unrolled. I think my triangles were too small. (See the picture below).

No comments:

Post a Comment