Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 26 - Macaroons and Savarin

The chef started with demonstrating how to make the savarin dough and what to do with it. Then I went back to my table and started producing. I made the savarin dough and while waiting for it to rise, I started on making macaroons. I thought I would make chocolate macaroons with ganache filling. The macaroons (see above) look great but the were a little crunchy. The last time I made them they were just right. They look right and I don't think I cooked them too long. But without any critique from the chef, I have no way of knowing.

The savarin looks good, but I didn't care for the taste at all. After baking the dough, you then soak the little ball in a rum syrup. Then I topped it with whipped cream. It wasn't a very busy day. Mostly it was wasted time waiting for the savarin to rise and to bake.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your website and it is making me hungry. Are you planning on publishing any of the recipes for the delicious food you are making and writing about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane. Right now I'm in school learning to bake all this good stuff. A lot of the things we are baking are for teaching us technique. Some things taste good and some things, well, not so good. Since most items are basic, I won't put recipes in the blog. If I make anything that I considered excellent, I'll put either the recipe or a link to where the recipe can be found.

    ReplyDelete