Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 36 - Assorted breads and crackers

Today started out with the Chef demonstrating how to make the bagels. Then it was off to our table to start our production. I took the bagels I formed yesterday, simmered in water and inverted sugar. Then I dipped the tops of the bagels in Parmesan cheese (yellow tops), salt-n-pepper (white topped bagels), or sesame seeds (black topped bagels) and baked them in the oven.

Next I made the lavosh and crackers. The lavosh was not my favorite. I like the crackers a lot and I would have liked some soup to throw them in. Here is how to make the crackers.

Crackers (recipe from school)
Bread flour - 5 oz.
Sugar - .125 oz.
butter - .8 oz.
Cayenne - pinch
Onion pwdr - pinch

Mix ingredients together, roll out into sheet about 1/8" thick. I cut 1" squares and place them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400 degrees till hard (about 15 minutes). Take them out and check if they are still soft, put back into oven till hard. It will not hurt putting them back in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment