Saturday, January 30, 2010

Saturday Baking - Mardi Gras King Cake

At Christmas I received a cookbook from my Aunt Carol. It is "Dam Good Sweet" by David Guas & Raquel Palzel. It's influenced by cooking in New Orleans. Today I used a recipe from the book to make a King Cake. For those who aren't from New Orleans, a King Cake isn't really a cake as much as a sweet bread. I had a good time making it and it was relatively easy to make. Usually we get our King Cakes from Randazzo's Camellia City Bakery in Slidell, LA.


So I'm comparing what I made today to what I'm used to eating in the past. I braided the dough and was real pleased with the appearance. The recipe called for a combination of bread flour and cake flour. It came out a little more dense than I would like. Next time I would probably just use cake flour and hope that it was a little more airy. I think the dough should be just a little sweeter also. But, the family still enjoyed eating this tonight.

2 comments:

  1. You do know that one day you will be asked to do all the baking for family, don't you? What I wouldn't give for a piece of King Cake. Did you put the baby in it? Then the person who got the baby had to have the next King Cake Party (old New Orleans custom). Of course, we all know who the king represented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look good and thanks for letting me know how the checker board cookies are made. I understand hoe they make the checker board now. The king cake looks good. Keep up the good work! What comes after cookies and brownies?

    ReplyDelete