Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 17 -

We started out the day with the Chef demonstrating how to make Macaroons and Spritz cookies. Then we went back to out tables and started making them ourselves.
First up, in order to make Macaroons, we used the sponge method for combining the egg whites and sugar to make a French Meringue. Then the other dry ingredients were added to the French Meringue. This was placed in a piping bag to make little quarter sized drops. Then they sat for 15 minutes to form a skin on top before being baked. They came out crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I thought they were very good. I'll make these again.

Next up we worked on making the Spritz cookies. For these, we used the creaming method for mixing the butter and flower. Next the liquids are added and then the dry ingredients. This was placed in a piping bag and little circles were made then a little indent placed in the center. Into the center I squirted a little bake-proof apricot jam. A little visit to the oven and voila. They were very good. Not too sweet, just right. I'll make these again also.

Next, I scaled the ingredients for the chocolate chip cookies that I will have to bake tomorrow on my practical test. The new Escali scale worked well. I'm happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment