Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 13 - Lecture, Lecture, Lecture


Yesterday in class we covered background checks and all the specific types of checks (credit check, drug test, moving violation reports, reference checks, etc) which employers may perform prior to hiring a new employee. Then we where given time to go to the school library to use the computers. This was mainly for the students that don't have access to a computer at home.


Today in class we covered trade associations related to the restaurant industry. The instructor covered Professional development as well. This was mainly about the ways to continue learning and growing in your profession.


This was the last day of the Hospitality Career Management class and so we took a quiz covering the material we learned this week. The test seemed easy and I should have done well. We also had to turn in our Cover Letter and Portfolio. I emailed it to the instructor before class. Of course I don't have many pictures to include in the portfolio yet and the resume looks totally weak in the experience section. But, I'll get there.


This is the last class I'll have that is totally lecture in a classroom setting. On Monday we'll start the Intro to Patisserie & Baking class. This will be a three week class. Monday, the students will each receive their tool kit. I'm sure we are all excited to get our tool kit. It will be like Christmas again.


Yesterday I got some Swan's Down Cake Flower from Wal-Mart. I also got a new OXO Digital Kitchen Scale (see picture above) from Williams Sonoma. This scale had some good reviews on the internet and at $50, it fit my budget. Maybe I'll try it out this weekend.




No comments:

Post a Comment