Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 129 - Wedding Cake

Today was my practical on making a wedding cake. Above is the picture of the wedding cake that I turned in for a grade. The cake is really just Styrofoam disc. I covered it in fondant. The black bands are fondant with some black royal icing piped above and below each band. I put super pearl dust on the black and that didn't work so well, as it made it look faded. On the sides I used silver dust/vodka mixture to paint the Fleur De Lis, but I put too much vodka and they we very light. On the top layer I used black royal icing piped to make my initials. I really lost a lot of time this week making the flowers. I had planned to put roses and peonies on the cake. The rose I was comfortable with. The peonies were new to me and I was not satisfied with what I made. Instead of the peony, I made a few tulips to add to the roses. This was certainly a learning experience. I learned a lot but was not satisfied with my execution. I just didn't have enough time to produce what I had planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment