Friday, June 17, 2011

Argyle Birthday Cake

I was asked to submit a potential cake design for use in the stores. The goal was to make a birthday (or any-occasion) cake for any gender. They already have several cake designs that can be changed in color. I chose to do an argyle design after seeing a sweater vest in a store. I thought the design was different and could be done in any color combination. I didn't do a full pattern all around the cake and left negative space. I utilized bright colors to draw attention, as a birthday is a joyful celebration. After doing this cake I realized that I needed to listen to my dad and practice pipping often. The lack of quality was evident in my yellow piping on the cake. And no, I'm not to proud of it. I wish that I could do the cake over again. To make it look better. But you know what, I learned from making the cake. I made the Gerber daisies that are on the cake. Most likely, you would not find the flowers on the cake in the catalogue or on the display in the store as they are cost prohibitive for most people. The cake could have been executed better, but I'll get better with each cake.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Monique. I am going to do a culinary class at my local votech (my state government pays for it because I am in high school) and later I want to attend culinary school (degree) for an associate in Baking & Pastry Arts and a bachelors in Culinary Management.

    My parents REALLY (I can't stress that enough) want me to get a college degree, so going to college for culinary is essential. They are going to do their best to financially help me out and I just got them to support me in going to culinary school, so I'm not going to argue with them. Plus, I want to do a specific job outside the culinary niche that requires an undergraduate degree in anything, so that works out too.

    Personally, I want to become a bakery owner and later a restauranteur. Getting a degree in culinary management I think will greatly benefit me. If I just wanted to work as a pastry chef/baker for a food establishment only, I would be more than happy to settle for a certificate program. But, I believe the business side of a culinary degree will greatly benefit me.

    Anyway, what do you think about the CIA? I want to attend their B&P in California (because I have family and friends close by) and finish my undergraduate degree in Culinary Arts at their New York campus. (I live in the center of America to just give you an idea about how far away they are.)

    Yes, CIA is very expense! But, before I wanted to go into the culinary niche, I was going to go to an in-state college for business and it would have been the same exact price.

    What do you think about my plan? Also, do you have any advice for me?

    ReplyDelete