Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sorbet and Mardi Gras

Today, I went to work and made my apple sorbet for Tariq, the Executive Pastry Chef. He told me to come up with some flavors for the new menu. I put apple sorbet as an idea. You may have read a while back that I made it for my high school chef for the charity dinner party he was catering for. Tariq told me the only problem was that it comes out grainy. I told him I could make one that is not grainy. So, he told me go ahead. I went to work to make it and let him try it. He liked the texture but said it was a bit sweet, so he told me to add a little salt, and a little more glucose. Glucose lets the sorbet stay soft while in the freezer, and helped it melt a tad. His helpful critique made the sorbet 10 times better. He thought I had a very good apple sorbet. Even my Grandparents and Aunt loved it.

The other night I went to go see three parades with my Aunt. I saw Knights of Babylon, Knights of Chaos, and Krewe of Muses. It was the first time in years I had been to a Mardi Gras parade and I had a blast.

1 comment: